Friday, June 7, 2013

(More on) Psychiatry

Hai assalamualaikum.



So it's the end of first week of Psychiatry and ... I've changed my mind. No, no don't get me wrong, it is an interesting subject I can listen for Dr Anita's lecture for hours (yes, we had 4 hours lecture with her) but it's so hard. I mean, the hardest thing is to get the patient to admit that he or she actually depressed or addicted to alcohol.



So I met this one patient. According to Dr Anita she is depressed due to multiple medical condition. The first thing that I thought when I saw her is, no way this woman is depressed, she wore a pink saree! I don't know if it counts but well, I usually have a good instinct. So we started asking questions like why are you here, so you got fever how is the fever, okay you vomit how was it etc etc like we always do with the patients.



Coming to the psychiatric part, we started by asking how are you feeling today? How is your family, isit you husband working etc etc. I asked so you husband is always home la everyday? I meant to say does he go for outstation for days then come back (kononnya nak elicit is she depressed because her husband is busy or whatever).. Guess what she said? Eh I got only one husband, not two okay, of course he's always home. What T_T



So we asked about the children, the daughter in law, is she nice etc etc. Are you happy with your life etc etc she said yes, I'm happy when I'm watching tv (and started saying something about whatever series she watched) aaaa you're supposed to be depressed you shouldn't be happyy (I wanted to say that). So that's it. We failed to complete the history taking because she had no sign of depression at all (except for weight loss but that also may be a sign of an underlying medical illness) pft.



I know it's only one patient. But I prefer talking to some kids with fever and loose motion. It's a lot easier and fun. I miss Pediatrics posting. Thank God Psychiatry is only for one month. But I may change my mind again next week.



I change my mind for 2-3 times in one day, it always make me hesitate to answer "Eh tadi kau cakap lain?". My mind is constantly working so please don't mind me if I say one thing before and another thing the next day hihi.



It's a happy day, Alhamdulillah :)





Currently reading and yes, it's about a schizophrenic patient.
I'm a nerd haha I know.





No comments: